Tuesday 5 February 2013

How I went about creating my own School Magazine.


When creating my magazine I took into account many of the codes and conventions you find present on the front covers and contents pages of many other school magazines, and presented my own take on them. 


My magazine follows a simple blue colour scheme and like many other school magazines, the front cover depicts a cheerful looking student holding a textbook in a work-related area of the school, in my case the library.

At the top of the page is a blue header with a tagline: ‘The Bay’s No.1 Bi-weekly Magazine.’ This confirms the play on words of the title: Bay Weekly, a play on the term ‘Bi weekly.’

The front cover also displays text informing the reader of the contents of the magazine, which will be explored in more detail on the contents page. The most important article in the magazine (‘How to survive your first week of High School’) is presented by a large title in a bold, white font which stands out against the background picture.

The layouts for both my front cover and contents page were created in Adobe Indesign CS6, while the individual components, such as titles, logos and headings were created using photoshop and Illustrator. The vector graphics used for the logo and one of the boxes was drawn in Illustrator using a Wacom tablet and the text was added in later in Photoshop. I then applied a drop shadow to the white text so that the words stood out from the page.

I exported the components from Photoshop as PNG files with a transparent background so that they could be easily manipulated in Indesign and moved wherever I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment